As a freelance audio engineer I really have no employment roots in any one place. I go where the work is and it's often on the other side of the world. In the 19 years of my professional life (12 as a session drummer with a slow crossover to broadcast audio), I ended up with my first real (...although part-time...) job in a real building rather than my usual office of loading docks in arenas and stadiums. It was teaching audio editing and mixing to the broadcast students at Humber College. The call came in mid December and I was on the gig 3 weeks later. My first day walking up to the same building where I studied music decades earlier, was nothing short of absolutely freakingly terrifying and bizarre. It was one of my how did I end up here moments.
Several years later, I absolutely LOVE the teaching job. The staff, the support from the college and the eager, uplifting students are more than enough reason to pursue a full time position, not to mention I get to share all things audio with them, which is both my hobby and my occupation.
"Sooo Mr. Dean, I'm interested in a full time position. I need a what?"
No comments:
Post a Comment