This unit on blogging has been thought provoking to me. I
had no clue where to start, so I started from the beginning…. of my current
life as a part time student. Why should anyone care what I spew forth on this
page? Well, they don’t really have to. At this point, this has been an
exercise to a) get some of the concepts and thoughts in my head flowing. (Sort
of a forced reflection..?) b) get over the hurdle of writing (other than audio
technical notes ) and having other people read it. I love part a and still squirm over part b.
I have a
great deal to learn and discover about academic blogging. The article Blogging and Academic Identity starts with a very strong personal
description. Estes (2012) wrote, “ As a blogger, I write about issues that
arise in my academic work, but in a different context, a different style, with
a different audience”(p.974). For my personality and learning style this is my bag (Austin Powers, 2008). Some
of the journals and books we have read are very informative and are fantastic
as reference material, the nature of the format is such that they are rather
dry and lack personality or colour. (Very poor cocktail party material.) Will I
read research journals or articles upon completion of this program?
Honestly-no. Will I browse academic blogs? Most definitely yes!
The potential
for the related thoughts and work of the researchers or authors to write more
accessibly to a wider audience is an effective use of technology in this area. I
love this concept!
References
Estes,
H. (2012). Blogging and academic identity. Literature Compass, 9(12),
974-982. DOI: 10.1111/lic3.12017
No comments:
Post a Comment